Monday, March 25, 2013

Interesting blog entry on: How the Internet and digital technology can combat social isolation

I read this blog entry in the blog: Connecting Social Care and Social Media.
Shirleyayres presents 7 internet based or digital resources to keep socially isolated older people connected. I list them here with my comments.

  • DropBy - a functionality laden website, for which you need to have web literacy to access it 
  • The casserole club - you need to have web access to find your neighbour cooking a spare meal - I assume that once a relationship is established you can check with your neighbour by phoning them
  • Good Gym - usually when an older person is active (physically fit) they are not socially isolated - I wonder how the project accesses the socially isolated older person
  • Mindings - technology needs to be bought / set-up, so the dispersed family member is connected and this will include technical support - who is giving this?
  • Gen2Gen - a young volunteer gets trained to give computer support to an older person. I think it is a great way to bring generations together... I suspect not only older people would like to have some IT support
  • Alive - a reminiscence work with help of the internet's resources... absolutely great, but notice the emphasis would be on the 'therapist' working with the older person
  • Chill4usCarers - lots of carers are older people and that is great, though web literacy is required again in order to make use of this site 
Overall, it brings home to me that real connectivity can only be done through people and that the technology can only support the 'connector' or carer.... I don't think that any of the technologies listed here are made easy enough for a computer in-experienced older person to use, except the Gen2Gen project. There I'd say it's important to understand that the relationship, which will be built with the older person is based on trust and that volunteers should not change frequently. 

I look forward to further developments in technology to combat isolation...
Thanks Shirley for starting to compile a list. 

No comments: